Georgian National Museum. Dmanisi Historical and Architectural Museum-Reserve

  • Address:  1706, village small Dmanisi, Dmanisi district 
    Phone: (+995 590) 880 115
    E-mail: info@museum.ge   
    Web-site: www.museum.ge
    Date of establishment:  1983
    Judicial status of the museum:  since State, since 2005 – unified in the Legal Public Entity Georgian National Museum  
    Type (profile): History
    Quantity of stored items: 2345

    Museum-Reserve description: The monument represents the medieval city site, where are held archaeological excavations. There are citadel, public and religious buildings. Among religious buildings of special interest is Dmanisi Sion (VI c.), with added in XII c. gates with ornaments and inscriptions. Along with medieval stratum, in Dmanisi Georgian and foreign specialists do research geological stratum dated 1, 8 billion years, with numerous hominids and fossilized animal. Until 1991 there are discovered five sculls of hominids in Dmanisi that is unusual for one site throughout the world. Results of the excavations made strong influence on the international scientific society and completely changed previously accepted idea of dissemination of hominids from the Africa.

    Working hours:  Everyday, except Monday, 11.00 – 16.00
    Ticket price: Adult -3 GEL, Students - 1.5 GEL, Schoolchildren (max. 15 people) 0.5 GEL, Guided Tour Fee 10 GEL
    Free of charge: Children less than 6 years of age and homeless children. Groups: Employees of Georgian and Foreign Museums, ICOM members, First and second category disabled persons), specialists and students connected to museum (with valid identification).

    Exhibitions: Periodical exhibition of different collections in Georgia and in foreign countries museums.
    Educational Programmes: The Georgian National Museum created the Department of Educational Programmes in 2005 which are focus on the Museum collections (E-mail: program@museum.ge, phone: (+99593) 328 345
    Publications: Museum catalogues and booklets

  • All rights reserved © 2017
    Ministry of Culture and Monuments Protection of Georgia, ICOM National Committee in Georgia, Georgian Museums Association, Culturological Research Association