Telavi Historical Museum

  • Museum address: 1, Erekle II str., 2200, Telavi
    Phone: (+995, 350) 3 00 54, 7 21 59, 7 31 59
    E-mail: telavisistoriulimuzeumi@yahoo.com
    Date of establishment: 1927
    Judicial status of the museum: The Legal Public Entity since 2008 (under the governmental control of Ministry of Culture and Monuments Protection of Georgia)
    Type (profile): History
    Quantity of stored items: 67 367

    Museum collection description: The museum complex includes memorial palace of the Kakheti king Erekle II (built in 1884-86), court church, re_parents of philosophy school, bath and tunnel built by Erekle II, also Ketevan Iashvili Art Gallery. The museum houses king Erekle's belongings and along with them: numismatic collection, erly medieval sarcophagus, late medieval armor, and collections of XVII-XIX c.c. cooper household objects, weapons, Khevsuretian (East Georgian mountainous region) clothes. The Art Gallery houses the private collection (187 items) of Ketevan Iashvili donated by her to the museum. The collection includes works of XIX c. Dach, French, German, Russian (Aivazovski, Kramskoi and other peredvizhnik period artists) painters, also works of Georgian artists (E.Akhvlediani, L.Gudiashvili, J.Khutsishvili, etc.).

    Working hours: Everyday except Monday, 10.00 – 18.00
    Ticket price: Adult - 2 GEL, students – 1 GEL, schoolchildren – 0.50 GEL
    Free of charge: Children less than 6 years of age and homeless children, employees of Museums, ICOM members, First and second category disabled persons, soldiers, refugees.

    Exhibitions: “Children’s exhibition”, “Georgian artist’s exhibitions”, “Exhibition dedicated to jubilee Elene Makashvili”
    Educational Programmes: “US in pictures” (together with US Embassy), “Exhibits and children”, “Visit in Museum” (for Azerbaijani schools), and My City”, “ Religious materials from Museum.
    Publications: Museum’s Chronicles (newspaper), “Telavi History Museum” (in process of publishing)

    Total space of the museum: 2927 m²
    Display space: 1836 m²
    Temporary exhibitions: 70 m²
    Storage space: 460 m²

    Annual quantity of visitors: 36158

    Museum building’s status: Immovable monument of Cultural Heritage (The order # 3/46, 2006 of Minister of Ministry of Culture and Monuments Protection of Georgia)

  • All rights reserved © 2018
    Ministry of Culture and Monuments Protection of Georgia, ICOM National Committee in Georgia, Georgian Museums Association, Culturological Research Association